How do I get my German Citizenship?
You can obtain German nationality by:
- Right of blood – born to a German parent
- Descent – your parent was born to German parent(s)
- Adoption – if you were legally adopted under the age of 18 by at least one German citizen on or after 1 January 1977, you are a German citizen. If the adoption took place outside Germany it has to meet certain requirements
- Naturalisation – different time scales apply depending on the application type
- For those born between 1949 and 1975 to a German (grand)mother or born out of wedlock, a 10 year window exists to claim nationality under gender discrimination laws.
- If your family were denied German nationality on political or religious grounds there is another criteria to reinstate nationality.